I just returned from our district’s start of the year welcome meeting. Everyone was smiling, inquiring about summer adventures, catching up; I would describe the atmosphere as one of excited anticipation. Excited anticipation definitely describes my feelings. As I sat in the general session, just a little antsy, I decided I would create a “to do” list. I have shared it here. The general session was more engaging than I originally anticipated, so my list is short. Please feel free to share what you put on your “to do” list this fall.
- Slow down enough to make eye contact with my students, letting each child understand I value them and they are important to me. I may copy Nick Spencer’s idea and make a practice of standing at the gym door and personally greeting each student.
- Reach out weekly in my community and in the greater global community to educate and promote the importance of quality physical education.
- Generate enthusiasm for our state organization SHAPE Colorado by passing along information to my colleagues. I want to also bring a group from our district to the SHAPE Colorado fall conference.
- Post my values and personal mission statement where I will see it daily.
- Review my long term professional goals: 1 year, 3 years, and 5 years. Celebrate progress, revise and/or set new ones.
- Share my gratitude daily by sending thank-you notes, emails and verbally expressing my gratitude towards colleagues and students.