Shape America states
- Physically literate individuals consistently develop the motivation and ability to understand, communicate, apply, and analyze different forms of movement.
- They are able to demonstrate a variety of movements confidently, competently, creatively and strategically across a wide range of health-related physical activities.
- These skills enable individuals to make healthy, active choices that are both beneficial to and respectful of their whole self, others, and their environment.
Wikipedia defines physical literacy as:
Physical literacy is a fundamental and valuable human capability that can be described as a disposition acquired by human individuals encompassing the motivation, confidence, physical competence, knowledge and understanding that establishes purposeful physical pursuits as an integral part of their lifestyle.
- everyone can be physically literate as it is appropriate to each individual’s endowment
- everyone’s physical literacy journey is unique
- physical literacy is relevant and valuable at all stages and ages of life
- the concept embraces much more than physical competence
- at the heart of the concept is the motivation and commitment to be active
- the disposition is evidenced by a love of being active, born out of the pleasure and satisfaction individuals experience in participation
- a physically literate individual values and takes responsibility for maintaining purposeful physical pursuits throughout the lifecourse.
- charting of progress of an individual’s personal journey must be judged against previous achievements and not against any form of national benchmarks